My husband – I really need to come up with a good nickname for him – left for another loooong day of field training around 3:00 this morning, which means I couldn’t sleep much past 3:45. I did curl up on the couch to watch a little Netflix, and caught a nap around 6:45. Whoop, whoop!
When I woke up a bit later, I looked outside to see we were getting our first dusting of snow for the season here in our little piece of Missouri! Most of the flakes melted as they hit the grass, which was wet from overnight rain, but it made for some nice scenery while I sipped my coffee this morning. I’ve switched over to drinking decaf in an attempt to cut back on my caffeine intake (which was getting a little ridiculous), so I’m running purely on the placebo effect of a warm mug of coffee.
Snow + wind + a husband who will be very cold getting home tonight = the perfect combination for a chili dinner!
Chili is my go-to during the fall and winter. It just warms you up from the inside, and you can customize it to fit your family’s taste. In our house, I always keep chili fixins in the cupboard, and have come up with what our favorite combination of ingredients is. So here is my recipe for Slow Cooker Quinoa Chili – this recipe makes a thick chili packed with protein, and you can pick and choose what you want to throw in! We don’t do beans in our chili, but if you’re looking for more of a classic dish, try replacing the quinoa with them, or do both and up the amount of tomato sauce.
- 1 lb ground meat of your choice (I used 97% fat free beef today, but it tastes great with ground turkey or chicken too!)
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 15oz can of corn, drained
- 1 14oz can of petite diced tomatoes
- 1 29oz can of tomato sauce (add more for soupier chili)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Brown ground beef in a skillet, and drain. Dump into lightly greased (I use olive oil cooking spray) slow cooker.
- Cook quinoa in a medium sauce pan according to package directions. Add to slow cooker.
- Add corn, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce to slow cooker and stir to combine with browned meat and cooked quinoa.
- In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, black pepper, and salt. Stir into slow cooker until combined.
- Set slow cooker to low for 4 hours, or until heated through. I sometimes just set mine on ‘warm’ until I’m ready to serve the chili.
Serve topped with shredded cheese, diced onion, soup crackers, or whatever your stomach is calling for!
I can’t wait to have a big bowl of this later on today! But first, I need to bundle up and drag my rear-end to the gym…plus I want to get a start on Christmas decorating! I’ll be in Iowa over Thanksgiving, and want to get it taken care of before traveling 🙂
What are your favorite chilly day recipes? Get it…chilly? chili? 😉
Ta ta for now!
The Ginger Wife